Happy Spring! Today marks the first day of the spring season, meaning we are finally getting our long-awaited sunshine, fields of green grass to roll around in, and rain showers that bring plenty of mud for pups to party in. Grab your camera, pouch of t-r-e-a-t-s (shh, don’t let your pup hear you say it!), and embark on these fun spring activities with your dog to celebrate the end of winter!
1. Find an open area with plenty of space for your pup to run free! Surely they enjoyed cuddling with your feet by the fireplace all winter, but they will be grateful to be able to stretch their legs, let their tongues dangle, and have their ears flap freely in the wind.
Photo by @frankiethewhitepup
2. Bring your pup hiking. Find a nearby park or trail and explore Mother Nature. Your dog will thank you for the new smells, new environments to explore, and may even jump into the river for a swim! Don’t forget to double tie your shoe laces, and check your pups’ paw pads for wood chips, pebbles, or any other irritants after a long walk in the wilderness.
3. Plan a day out at the beach. Bring some sunscreen for you and a lifejacket for your pup if he needs one. There will no doubt be plenty of sticks to fetch on the shoreline, waves to splash around in, and perhaps even other pups to chase around.
4. Practice fetching and catching any and all toys! Grab your frisbees, tennis balls, soccer balls, stuffed animals, and find unique areas for your pup to practice their coordination skills. Find a hill and catch an awesome shot of your flying super-pup.
5. Fashion an obstacle course in your backyard and work on agility – DIY style – with your pup! Grab those lawn chairs, hula hoops, spare cardboard scraps, and bed sheets and create a safe but fun agility course to run through with your pup.
6. If you haven’t already started this year’s spring cleaning, take those old raggedy shirts out from the bottom of your dressers and tie them together for a giant tug-toy! Go out and have an epic game of tug-of-war with your pup. Disclaimer: Using your fancy camera strap may not be the best idea.
7. Go on doggy dates with your pup. Meet up with other doggy friends, or take your dog on a blind date to the local dog park 😉 You never know, he or she might find their one true love there!
8. Teach your dog to skateboard, because who doesn’t love a skateboarding pup? Ride around town together and I guarantee your pup will get plenty of treats and give plenty of laughs!
Video by @aussomebc
9. Have a sprinkler party! Cool off when it starts to get warm, and add sprinklers and hoses to your makeshift agility course for even more fun.
10. Go on a giant stick hunt. Find the largest stick your dog can carry, and have the most epic game of fetch with it. You’ll give yourself a workout, and your dog will thank you for all the fun!
11. Need to wash off your pup after these exciting adventures? Have a water-fight with your pup! Dust off that water hose, set it to a safe setting, and go crazy! Your pup will love chasing the water, and the best part is you can give them a bath while you’re at it. Be careful not to spray too hard or hurt sensitive areas such as the face when playing this game!