Kenai and her human, Kerrie, were out playing in the snow in Duluth, Minnesota the other day when Kenai suddenly became very agitated.
Kerrie and her friend Pam soon noticed what was bothering the pup: A bald eagle, seemingly stranded in the snow.
Kenai barked at the eagle and then tried to approach it. The injured eagle was hesitant to accept help from a dog, for obvious reasons. He hopped away from them as they got closer. It was getting dark, so Kerrie and Pam decided to come back the following day to rescue the bird.
They returned early in the morning. The bald eagle was gone, but he left a trail of footprints.
They spotted him the further up the shore of the lake and contacted the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Pam and Kerrie worked with two women from the DNR to rescue the injured bird.
According to the Wildwoods' Facebook page
, where Kerrie and Pam took the bald eagle, the bird was "chilled and his feathers were frozen."
The staff at Wildwoods, an animal rehabilitation center in Duluth, Minnesota, discovered that the bird had a shoulder injury. They gave him fluids and helped to warm him up.
After that, Kerrie and Pam took the eagle to Raptor Center in St. Paul. The Raptor Center's examination showed that the bird not only had an injured shoulder, but also had lead poisoning. However, the center expects him to make a full recovery.
Pam and Kerrie say that this eagle never would have had a chance if it wasn't for Kenai's keen senses detecting the injured bird. It was because of this heroic pup that they were able to save the eagle from freezing to death.
Way to go Kenai! High paws!
Feature image and h/t Wildwoods/Facebook.