Puppy Is The Face Of Regret After Eating Tube Of Industrial Strength Glue

Written by: Dr. Katy Nelson

March 19, 2016

Cocker Spaniel puppy Marley thought he’d hit the jackpot of treats—polyurethane glue, in this case a bottle of industrial strength Gorilla Glue, which tastes sweet to dogs. When he devoured the tube, the sticky clump expanded into a 15cm-wide mass in his stomach.


Owner Simon King was working on a bathroom renovation when Marley managed to swipe the glue before he was able to close the door. For three weeks the glob continued to grow, dangerously close to stretching his little belly too far.


King and his wife noticed Marley had a bit of the glue on his paws but didn’t think much of it. It was when the pup stopped eating and going to the bathroom that they realized something was very wrong.

They rushed Marley to the vet, where an x-ray surprised even the vets.

x ray

A surgeon successfully removed the mass during an hour-long surgery. We won’t include the picture here due to its graphic nature, but should you feel the need, you can view it here. Surgeon Pieter Nellisen said:

As a surgeon, I have seen a wide variety of unusual objects eaten by dogs and cats, including socks, tennis balls and coins, however this is the first time I have removed expandable glue from an animal’s stomach!

marley after surgery

The mass also included some bits of doggie bed and toys, but it was the expanding glue that presented the most danger. To see just what happens when a dog consumes polyurethane glue, check out the simulation video below.

Marley is doing great after his surgery despite having to sport the cone of shame. “Marley still comes in to see me,” says Mr. King, “but I make sure I keep the door shut!”

h/t Express, featured image via Caters News Agency

Written by: Dr. Katy Nelson

March 19, 2016