As the sun shines brighter and the days grow longer, it’s time to embrace the season of warmth and joy with your dog. Summer is the perfect opportunity to engage in thrilling adventures and create lasting memories with your furry friend. Also, it’s best to remember that a dog’s physical and mental health benefits from an active lifestyle. So, let’s explore a delightful array of summer dog activities that will have tails wagging and hearts racing with excitement!
Best Summer Dog Activities
Outdoor Adventures for Your Canine Companion
- Picnic in the Park: A delightful picnic in the park provides a great opportunity to relax and bond with your furry friend. Pack a picnic basket with dog-safe foods like watermelon, blueberries, and pineapple, along with some tasty treats and cool water. Enjoy quality time together, basking in the sunshine and the companionship of your four-legged family member.
- Doggy Playdates: Socialization is crucial for dogs, and playdates are an excellent way to achieve this. Coordinate with fellow dog owners and choose a safe, enclosed space for the pups to interact. Observe their body language and ensure that all interactions remain positive and fun-filled.
- Nature Walks: Take your dog on nature walks along scenic trails, where they can revel in new scents and sights. Keep them on a leash, respecting the rules and guidelines of the trail. Carry essentials such as waste bags, water, and a first aid kit to ensure a safe and enjoyable walk for both of you.
- Doggy Photo Shoot: Capture the fun moments of summer with a doggy photo shoot. Head to a scenic location and let your furry friend strike a pose for some adorable snapshots.
- Go to a Dog Park: Dog parks act as canine playgrounds, offering a safe and social environment for dogs to run, play, and make new friends. If you haven’t already, this can be a fun activity to get in some exercise.
Dog-Friendly Swimming Spots
- Dog Beach Day: Dogs and beaches are a match made in summer heaven! However, not all beaches allow dogs, so ensure you choose designated dog friendly beaches. Bring along some beach-friendly toys to make it a day filled with fun! Remember to rinse off your pup after swimming to remove any salt or sand from their fur.
- Paddling Pool Fun: If you don’t have access to a beach, create a paw-some water experience in your backyard with a paddling pool. Supervise your dog while they splash and play, and provide shady spots for them to relax and cool down.
Hiking Trails for Dogs and Owners
- Scenic Hikes: Research dog-friendly hiking trails in your area and choose one that matches your dog’s fitness level. Start with shorter hikes and gradually increase the distance over time. Remember to bring enough water for both you and your pup.
- Trail Scavenger Hunt: Transform a hike into an exciting adventure by creating a scavenger hunt. Before you head out, hide small treats along the trail and guide your dog to discover them with their incredible sense of smell.
Interactive Games for Active Dogs
- Frisbee Frenzy: An easy, fun thing to do with your dog is a game of frisbee, which provides an excellent workout for your dog’s agility and coordination.
- Fetch the Scent: Hide treats around the house or yard and encourage your pup to find them using their keen sense of smell. There are many options for yummy dog treats, but if you need a place to start, try BARK’s dog treats!
Indoor Activities to Escape the Hot Weather
- Puzzle Toys: Rainy days call for indoor fun! Create DIY puzzle toys to challenge your dog’s problem-solving skills. For example, stuff a Kong with peanut butter or frozen broth to keep them engaged for longer. If you want to keep your pup busy, check out BARK’s puzzle and enrichment toys.
- Indoor Agility Course: Turn your living room into an agility course using pillows for jumps and blankets for tunnels. Guide your pup through the course, rewarding them with treats for completing each challenge.
Tips to Keep Your Dog Happy during Summer
- Hydration is Key: Always carry a portable water bowl and fresh water when out and about. Stay vigilant for signs of dehydration, such as excessive panting and lethargy.
- Heat Safety: Avoid outdoor activities during the hottest parts of the day. Opt for early mornings or evenings when the temperature is cooler and more comfortable for your dog.
- Paw Protection: Hot surfaces like asphalt can burn your dog’s paws. Check the ground’s temperature before going for walks. To keep your dogs cool, consider using paw wax or dog booties for added protection.
- Tick and Flea Prevention: Summertime brings an increased risk of ticks and fleas. Ensure your dog is up to date on preventive treatments and conduct regular tick checks after outdoor adventures. If you need a place to start your search, try BARK Topical Flea and Tick Pack.
Enjoy Dog Days with BARK
Summer is the ideal season for bonding with your furry friend and creating cherished memories together. Engaging in dog-friendly activities can help strengthen the bond between you and your furry friend while also making sure they are happy and healthy. Whether exploring nature, splashing in the water, or playing interactive games, each summer activity will surely make tails wag and hearts sing with joy.
And for an ongoing source of excitement and surprises, don’t forget to subscribe to BarkBox. Every month, BarkBox delivers 2 original toys, designed in-house, 2 full bags of all-natural treats, and a chew straight to your door. It’s a paw-some way to keep the fun going all summer long! So, don’t wait—grab that leash and embark on a summer adventure that will leave you both smiling from ear to ear! Happy tails and happy trails!