What Makes Grapes So Bad For Dogs?

Written by: Stephanie Valente

September 10, 2015

Many pup owners believe that healthy human foods are also just as healthy for pups. That’s not necessarily the case. There are many fruits and vegetables that are a big no-no for pups, and grapes are especially toxic for dogs.


That’s right. While appearing innocent, grapes are in fact very dangerous for your dog. (And don’t forget that raisins count, too!)

But what makes grapes so bad?

The reason grapes are so toxic to pups actually remains a mystery. Fortunately, veterinarians are able to identify and treat grape toxicity, even if they don’t know what causes it.


A-Z Vets claims ingesting grapes can cause kidney failure in pups and that symptoms start to appear within 12 hours of eating the food.


What are symptoms of grape toxicity?

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Decreased or lack of appetite
  • Severe lethargy and weakness
  • Dehydration
  • Unable to urinate
  • Abdominal pain
  • Kidney failure


    If you think your pup accidentally ate some grapes, always make a trip to the emergency vet as soon as possible.


    A-Z Vet notes: “Once the kidneys have begun to fail, the prognosis is poor. Kidneys are unable to regenerate or repair themselves. Some dogs that recover from grape toxicity may incur permanent kidney damage.”

    pup watermelon

    How can I protect my pup? What can I feed him/her instead?

  • Keep grapes and raisins inaccessible to dogs.
  • Do not use any food containers for your pup that would have juice or fruit residue on it.
  • Use dog-friendly fruit for treats and rewards, such as bananas, apples, strawberries, pears, watermelon (but only if you remove the seeds) and pineapple.
  • Cut up food into small, easy to eat pieces.
  • Avoid stone fruits (ex: peaches) because the pits are poisonous.
  • If you have any doubts, consult the ASPCA list of toxic foods so you know all toxic foods.

    scottie dog with apple

    In closing, Dr. Janet Tobaissen Crosby points out that all grapes, no matter the kind, are all toxic. If a pup ingests grapes, it is best to visit the vet as soon as possible for immediate treatment.

    H/t via A-Z Vets, Pet MD, Dr. Janet Tobaissen Crosby
    Featured image via Dogster

  • Written by: Stephanie Valente

    September 10, 2015

    Nutritionist-crafted food for your dog's breed or mix.

    Recipes designed for dogs' individuality



    A themed collection of BARK-designed toys, treats, and chews.


    A themed collection of BARK-designed toys, treats, and chews.