Today is National Mutt Day! A day to celebrate the mixed-breed four-legged wonders of the world and the awesome humans who own them. Mutts make some of the most amazing dogs, and are all inherently unique and special in their own way. If you own one, though, you’ve probably heard a few of these things before.
1. “That’s the coolest breed name!”
With names like “bug” and “poogle,” people tend to have a fascination with your dog’s type of mixed breed.
2. “Having that puppy is like a box of chocolates.”
You never know what you’re gonna get.
3. “You won’t ever have to worry about that, because your dog’s a mix.”
And that’s a great thing! Mixed-breed dogs tend to have better health than purebred pups due to their more varied gene pool.
4. “Oh he looks like he’s got some _____ in him.” Or maybe a bit of Corgi? Everyone seems to think they know what mix your dog is.
5. “You got your dog for HOW much?”
Seriously, 4 figures on a puppy? You got yours for way less than that.
6. “What kind of dog is that?”
The age old question, of course.
8. “I’ve never seen a dog like that before.”
Why thank you, he’s quite the special one.
9. “Is there a dog show for mixed-breeds?”
10. “Did he come pre-trained?”
People assume that because your dog is from a rescue, they came fully potty-trained with 10 tricks down pat already.
11. “Oh, that’s really interesting.”
Typical response for that one weird feature or trait your dog has that doesn’t belong to any of the breeds he’s mixed from.
12. “Have you done a DNA test yet?”
Like, are you really REALLY sure that he’s a mix of those things?